Our Curriculum Intent
At. St Joseph’s our curriculum is based on our shared vision: no child is left behind; and our mission statement: Providing excellence in education so that each child reaches their full potential, developing an enquiring mind and a love of lifelong learning.
Our bespoke, diverse and anti-racist curriculum, with strong cross curricular links which reflect our school community, is relevant, engaging and innovative. Our curriculum enables our children to ask questions and uncovers a world of possibilities- inspiring each and every child to reach their full potential.
We endeavour to deliver excellence and expect all learners to be actively engaged and independent across the whole curriculum. Our Catholic Ethos permeates through all that we do and is at the heart our spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all learners.
Our curriculum focuses on:
- The child as a learner, and allows breadth and depth of learning, offering challenge and enjoyment, personalisation and choice, whilst considering each child’s academic and personal development so that they understand and value their place in the world
- The diversity within our school community and on developing children’s knowledge and understanding about their local area- London, Rotherhithe, The Mayflower, the Docks etc.
- Progression of skills, knowledge and vocabulary. This is closely monitored and tracked to ensure the opportunity of attainment and progress of all learners at the highest level across the whole curriculum
- Coverage and content is planned and sequenced effectively across the school and personalised to each child’s needs so that new knowledge and skills build on learning that has come before and leads to strong outcomes
- Building in a plethora of opportunities to develop our children’s cultural capital, including the wealth of local attractions and amenities London has to offer, thus allowing all pupils to make further progress in all areas of the curriculum
- Prioritising and building upon the core skills of reading, writing and maths throughout all subjects in readiness for the next stage of their education
At St Joseph’s, we offer a broad and balanced curriculum which is knowledge and skills rich. We have a focus topic each half term which are mapped to the national curriculum and adapted to fit the needs of our children and our context.
We endeavour to ensure that by the time the children leave St. Joseph’s to embark on the next stage of their education, they are equipped with the academic skills and knowledge, and have developed the personal attributes needed to enable them to become successful citizens of the future. We believe that the most important principle of our curriculum is to develop curiosity and a love of learning.
It is our aim to provide a curriculum that is derived from high quality first teaching, well-planned and prepared learning activities and engaging and memorable learning opportunities for all our children.